Thursday, April 9, 2009

Easter Party at the Rescue Mission

Today was our Easter Party at the Rescue Mission! We had our best group of volunteers yet and a great party featuring egg dyeing, easter cookies, games and decorations! It was fun and crazy. As I start to care for the children more if affects me more and more that they are in this situation. One of my favorite groups of sisters is absolutely adorable. . they look to be almost Ethiopian. . yes, that gorgeous! I was talking to their mom today and she shared that their father was Ugandan. I got all excited until the mom quickly said, "oh no, we don't have any contact with him. . .ours is a domestic violence situation. that's why I'm here" What a punch in the gut. This precious family. All that they have gone through. It breaks my heart. I'm so thankful for the Mission that does such a great job loving on the families that live there. Here are a few pictures of our fun day:






5 comments:

Jman's momma said...

seriously would you just find Chris a job down there so I can move - I want to be part of your clan :)

I am so silly though - I know there are opportunities for me to do the exact same thing here.

Praise God for your little group and all the love they share during these visits.

Vanessa said...

What a blessing this is to those children!!! I would LOVE to be able to find some place locally to do that type of work. Since Katrina it seems all the aide places have closed their doors to never reopen again! We do feed the people who live in the tent villages under the interstate from time to time and it's heart breaking!!

Amy said...

So much fun! I absolutely fell in L-O-V-E with Rayna!

Brittani said...

I love that you consistently do these things with your kids, Brand. They are learning valuable lessons at ridiculously young ages :) I am going to make it my goal to do a ton of those missions with you when I homeschool bradley next year. You are amazing, girl

Dearest Jessica said...

Davis takes such great pictures! Looks like a fun day. Looking forward to joining you when we learn how to skip naps.