Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Ok, Ok, Ok - we all know - I'm not normal

Are you guys freaked out by my blog, twitter, FB statues lately? I know, I know, I'm not normal. Most women are thrilled to live their lives out as soccer moms in a beautiful home in a great city. Here I am - blogging and shouting about Sex Trafficking of little girls when I could be posting recipes.

Here's the thing. I'm a WarriorGirl. I know, not normal. But, you know - I can't stop it. When you wake up the warrior in me, the mother bear, it just can't be stopped. I sometimes wish it could be. I know people are probably rolling their eyes, tired of hearing about it, thinking it's a stupid (or at least too big) thing to tackle. And so I struggle. I struggle a bit because I know I'll offend your sensibilities (see my last R rated post), bore you with facts and figures you want to shut your eyes to and annoy you with my passion. (you should have seen me yelling in the offices this morning :-)

But, as my friend Vince said in the office this week - "I don't want to be so afraid of offending some that I neglect to defend others."

So, this is my apology. I know you (many of you) would prefer for me to be a little tamer, a tad less fiery...you'd rather NOT see a 100 tweets a day with the #boycottcraigslist attached. You'd rather not read stories of little girls caught in the US or foreign sex trade. I'm sorry, but I can't be that person.

When I know - I have to act. God made me this way. A warrior who will beg and plead and use my voice, wherever that reaches, to scream out for the innocent. I am determined to see HIM loose the chains of injustice and set the oppressed free.

So - if you can handle that. If you can listen to me rant and rave and still not quit reading my blog (if anyone actually reads this) or unfriend me on Facebook - well then, thank you.

And by the way, will you raise YOUR voice for the oppressed? Join the fight.
**(I can't help but ask....I won't shut up and I probably won't stop asking you to join me either :-)

20 comments:

Tom Davis said...

You go girl! Someone must have a voice. And let's not forget that God HATES this stuff. Going to post on Amos 5:21-25 tomorrow. What would Amos say about this outrage?!!

David said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
David Smith said...

Hi Brandi,

I am glad God has given you the fire and the voice AND the time to use it. Keep up the good fight.

David Smith

Tanya said...

Fight on Warrior Girl!!!!!!!

Beautiful Mess said...

Thankful for your shouts they have changed my life!

NEVER be quiet!

Julie Redman said...

tweet it, fbook it, shout it from rooftops! keep talking about it, keep shouting about it. sometimes things like this aren't important enough to the world unless they hear it over and over. drive it home sister! :)

Unknown said...

LOVE YOU!!!! You are not alone, and I personally think it is great and needed, and if we don't who will.....I am not afraid of upsetting someone or having them pigeon hole me in my Christianity.
I once read Nicholas Kristof say something like- what would happen if aid organizations, philanthropists (and warrior girls :) embraced the dark arts of marketing spin and persuasion used on Madison Avenue and for items like Pepsi and Coke.....we'd save a million lives!

Andrea

missy said...

U silly girl. No one who truly loves u would ever expect anything less from u. U r a world changer my friend.

Jude said...

nope, not sick of it at all... sitting here staring at my pile of stuff i had set aside to sell on craigslist and thinking, how can i now??? fight on friend... :)

Unknown said...

Rant on!!! I'm with you. I love the Kay Warren book where she says she is gloriously ruined for all "normal" things. Someone has to be the voice. Looking for churches to call from our local craigslist today. Boycotting. Keep up the good work!!!

Brittani said...

We love you, sweet sis. Nobody is tired of you being YOU... It's who God made you to be :)
(not to say we wouldn't mind more posts about your soccer mom life and those cute babies, too) :) hehehe
You are an amazing woman of God who is passionate about what God tells you to do... who would want that to change? nobody who loves you would ever wan that to go away. I think some people (including myself sometimes) just struggle with being faced with such hard stuff all of the time. We aren't all as strong as you and it is hard to realize, again and again, that while you are changing the world, we are sitting on the couch.
We need that reminder and encouragement to get off of our butts, though... keep it up!

Sarah S said...

UM, don't you dare shut up!! Who cares if you lose friends or followers!! I am listening, and repeating, and loving you more for what you say, dear friend!!

Unknown said...

OH, how I love you when you get fired up! Drawing my sword and standing beside you sweet friend!

Jessica Gonifas said...

Go Brandi!! I agree with Tom and if I was one of those girls, you are what I would be praying for EVERY day. :) Love you

i'm abby said...

I'm IN :)

candice said...

Brandi-
I must say that it wasn't until hearing Tom at Summit and then talking to both you and Vince later that my eyes were really OPENED to the realities of sex trafficking. Not sure where I have been or even how I could not have really known about this until now, but of course now that my eyes are opened I must be moved into action. THANK YOU for being a "warrior girl" that is not afraid to speak up for those who can't speak for themselves. Because of your boldness( as well as Tom and Vince) God has pierced my heart and I am looking for ways to spread the word about this as well.

Sometime we will talk! :-) I am praying for all of you at children's hopechest... keep up the good work for the kingdom!

Joni said...

Thank you for being who God created you to be!

Jackie Sue said...

The truth is that most of us just can't keep up with you, girlie. Keep speaking out and eventually we will catch up with you....love you. Oh, and thanks for the encouragement today...after the c.c. I am even more excited about the trip. Kept tearing up as people talked about the kids...so very very thrilled for the chance to serve in India...thanks for putting in a good word for me. :)

carrielkg said...

B- love you dearly. Who is "normal" anyway?... the people who are NOT doing what God has called them to do?? Ahh, His ways are higher than ours. Enjoy being you [without apology] - God made you that way.
C.

Karen said...

You took the words right out of my mouth, Brandi! I'm standing right there beside you! with love, Karen Wistrom www.family-from-afar.blogspot.com