Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Tackle the Giant

iFasters -

If ANY of you are friends with me on Facebook/Twitter/Blog sites you may have seen me rant and rave a bit. It's this whole Craigslist thing (you can read more on Tom's blog for links to all the research) with them turning a blind eye (and making major bucks while doing so) while customers use Craigslist to peddle young women and girls. The number 1 resource in human trafficking in the US.

Yeah but - it's Craigslist. What can we do? That's the question I've been tackling.

Last week I called 2 different friends saying we were going to "take down" Craigslist. If you haven't noticed, I'm an idealist :-)

The truth is - no matter what I do - it MAY not make a difference. So, why tackle the giant?

We see this question throughout care for the poor, the hungry and the oppressed. Why feed one? You aren't going to solve the famine issue in said country. Why? Why? Why? The issues are huge - we are not.

Heck, even if Craigslist shut down - wouldn't they pimps find somewhere else to peddle their wares? Wouldn't the johns find another way to find what they're looking for?

yep, probably - but I can't stop. Maybe I've got a little David in me. He saw Goliath and kept going. Maybe it's just the mom in me. All I see is Gracie, my 4 year old. If she was being pimped on Craigslist I wouldn't stop screaming about it. I wouldn't turn a blind eye. I would beg everyone I knew. And maybe, just maybe - one person would tell another and then another and then another - and maybe just maybe something would change. And maybe, just maybe ONE little girl would be saved. If it wasn't SO easy to do business, maybe one pimp would go out of business or one john would find it just too difficult and give up.

I read this verse this week - Proverbs 24:11 Rescue those being led away to death;
hold back those staggering toward slaughter.

That's just it - we are called to Tackle the Giants. The corporate giants like Craigslist who turn their eyes while little girls are sold. Yep, let's tackle them. The giant issues like hunger and orphanhood. Yep, let's tackle them. Because He's called us to RESCUE. He's called us to be warriors on the front lines, holding evil back and fighting for the kingdom. Will my battle be a guaranteed win? Nope - but I know who wins the war and I'll keep fighting till He comes.

Remember the Poor:
Abstain from every form of evil. Now may the God of peace himself sanctify you completely, and may your whole spirit and soul and body be kept blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. He who calls you is faithful; he will surely do it. (I Thess 5) Praying that we will manifest the fruit of the Spirit, self-control, in abstaining from every form of evil-- particularly here in the west from worldliness and selfishness. Asking God to come and sanctify us completely, that we may be a pure, brilliant, clean and blameless bride. Praising Him that He is faithful and HE WILL DO IT!

HopeChest:
Pray for the team of 17 leaving for Uganda today
Pray for our team going to Russia on May 16 hoping to provide an extensive training/life skills program in for orphan grads
Pray for our team preparing to go to India in June
Pray for our various partners and our staff in the US and overseas
Pray for wisdom as we lead the organization
Pray for our board meeting
Pray that Craigslist stops carrying personal ads
Pray for the 147 million orphans and the many vulnerable boys and girls that are being trafficked world-wide

Orphan Relief and Rescue
Please keep praying for Michael. He is hospitalized with complications of his liver disease (plus, a Liberian hospital is not really a great place to be). Pray for healing and encouragement for him. Wisdom and clarity for the doctors and nurses. And for me to know when/where/if I need to intervene.

Our field team can really use some prayers for unity. At this point in the year everyone is getting worn out and emotions are raw. I found myself re-reading Ephesians 6:10-18 today-- the armor of God. It was a much needed reminder that this battle we are in is Spiritual, we are not fighting against people (or each other) we are fighting against the enemy. We can't see him, but we can feel it and have to stand together to fight. Please pray those verses for/with us through this difficult time.

We also need wisdom, guidance and favor as we continue to make our budgets and project plans for the coming year.


Indian Rescue Mission
Finances for the Rescue of Monisha.
On a personal note: their son Stephen has a horrible head cold. Please pray for his healing.

Join us tomorrow morning first thing for a time of corporate prayer. I promise, you'll be blessed!
Wednesdays 9:30 AM (eastern) at CALL IN # : 760- 569- 9000 ID: 968101 We are also adding a NEW CALL!!! This one will be at 1:30 (eastern) and will focus on prayer for those who are being trafficked into the sex trade. Join us! (please reply to this email if you'd like to be a part of this one!)


Thanks!

Brandi
Craigslist supports Sex-Trafficking by looking the other way - will you?

2 comments:

Jackie Sue said...

i'm in. no craigslist for me or anyone in my house!!! i'm in for praying too :) love you. thanks for keeping the hard stuff on my radar.

Jason said...

Thanks for standing up. It saddens me to see so many people who normally speak out for those trapped in the hell of human trafficking making excuses to avoid being seen as one of those "Christians who boycott."