Wednesday, June 27, 2007

There are hungry children in Africa. . .

Last night I went out to dinner with friends. We didn't eat until 9 pm which meant we were very ready for dinner! While waiting, one of my friends commented, "I'm starving". . .to which I almost always teasingly reply, "You're not starving. . .you're hungry. . .there are children in Africa who are starving. . ." This has been something that people say flippantly throughout the years. It is a common saying. I have used it to tease my friends often. However, this night, I couldn't. She said it. The other girls looked at me waiting for my response. I gave it half heartedly. In my heart / head it started. . ."You're not starving, not like the. . .wait. . .not like (I can't hardly finish this thought) not like my son right now." It's not a flippant thing anymore. It has flesh and blood. I don't know my son, I don't know his name, his story or what he looks like, but nonetheless, I have a son halfway across the world who is most likely hungry right now.

No, I don't think it's a sin to say "I'm starving" I don't even think it's thoughtless or anything. I just think. . .I can't say flippantly "there are starving children in Africa". . .it's too personal now. I never realized when I started this process how much that would affect me. I can't believe it never affected me before, truthfully.

We just finished our homestudy and are hoping to be referral ready by the end of July, which got me to thinking. . .if we get a referral in 4-5 months, where is our little boy right now? Most likely, still with his birth family or relatives. Either way, with the food situation the way it is in Liberia and the fact that most children who are put up for adoption are relinquished b/c the family doesn't think they can feed them. I know that family must be hurting right now, trying to feed a little boy and knowing they can't right now. Please join me in praying for that family and the pain they must be going through as they make this difficult decision. Please pray also that they will come to know Jesus as their Savior so that they may spend eternity with "our" son. Thanks for listening. . .

Last night

5 comments:

Jackie Sue said...

Hey...I am one of your Orlando spots too :) You very well may be right about Laura...I never even thought of her. I bet that is it. Too funny. Thanks for solving my mystery. I love how God puts this passion in our hearts for our children before we even know them. A son, huh? It's a boy...cool! I will think of him often....God is so AWESOME!

Anonymous said...

so many people are adopting from the church now. thats awesome. I enjoy reading your blogs, thanks for sharing

Amber G. said...

Thanks for sharing your journey, too... I'm enjoying following as it unfolds.
To answer the questions from your comment:
We are open to a boy or girl under 24 months... so, we'll see! Probably will be a boy since there are alot of people waiting for a girl. We are open to a variety of special needs, too. So I have been in contact with Donna about some of the kids. Other than that there isn't much more contact as we wait and pray :)

Anonymous said...

I'm happy to know that it's a boy and I will pray for your son and his birth family "without ceasing." Much love, C

Rae said...

No, the question IS...how often do you check my blog?! :) Hee hee! That really truly is my very own rating, by the way. You can click on the emblem and enter your address (or mine if you feel the need to check up on my veracity) and voila, you get the rating (and why).

:D, Rae