Saturday, August 11, 2007

Visas and a BUNCH Of Scripture

Friday morning, I woke up to some interesting news on the visa situation in Liberia. Here is the actual email about what is happening:
* The consular is requiring adoption agencies to make an appointment for a pre-visa interview. That can only be done on a certain day and only for a couple hours that day. After the petition has been filed;
the consular requires 3 weekss to conduct a mandatory I-604-Determination on Child for Adoption. Due to security concerns; the consular staff is requiring that agencies bring in the relinguishing
birth parent for an interview with the consular. Families within the city will be required to come in as well. Furthermore DNA testing will be required for all cases which consular staff cannot determine
parentage by interview. Adoption providers can drop off documents pertaining to adoptions on Thursdays from 2-4:00pm. Adoptive parents should not schedule return flights to the U.S. until the consular

provides the date a visa will be issued. Parents cannot meet with the consular unless they have a visa interview which can only be Thursdays from 2-4.
What this means:
Fewer Visas each week which equates to Longer wait times
meaning children wait MUCH Longer in the orphanage. Meaning sick children may die, see Naiomi and Joseph who both NEED to get home very soon! Meaning the US Gov't is basically "trumping" the Liberian Gov't b/c they have already said this was official in their eyes.

Birth Families appearing at Visa Hearing
Meaning, after a birth mom has made the very difficult decision to place her child for adoption, she has to go back and make it all over again a year later (and see their child and new parents possibly) I am assuming some of these parents will refuse to do this, which means children will be left to be raised in an orphanage with no plan by the state dept to make it any other way. Also, if a parent cannot be found, no visa will be issued and child raised in orphanage

Sounds like the orphanage problem has a solution. . .parents in America waiting and willing to spend the money necessary to take these children yet our Gov't will NOT allow it if those requirements are not met. Do they want to be like Zimbabwe in the 90's with 11 mil. people
and over 3 million of them being orphans? Except for the fact that some of those 8 mil were children, so let's just say that leaves 5 mil. adults. Now, factor in the fact that in Liberia the Employment rate is 10% and so is the literacy rate. That is NOT good for the Liberian economy either!

Ok, so I'll admit I freaked out a bit! I spent the morning in tears. Not just for Davis (who at 2 visas a week, would not get out for close to a year) but for my friends' children who are medically fragile. Yes, I lost perspective! A couple of AoH friends called and I quickly told them, "no I can't be of any help yet. . but, I'm going to small group now and will get myself together." As soon as I got to small group, I told the girls with tears in my eyes. They immediately turned the table on me and told me over and over what we've been learning about Trusting in a BIG God!! Yes, I was convicted and began to change perspectives. Soon, I proceeded to lead our discussion from one of my favorite studies (Self Confrontation). This lesson was "The Biblical View of Self". The point that they undergirded with scripture was "Nothing on earth can compare to God." We are nothing and God is everything. While I was busy worrying about the plans of man, I had forgotten that the Lord was still in control.
2 Chronicles 6:14 "O LORD, God of Israel, there is no God like you in heaven or on earth—you who keep your covenant of love with your servants who continue wholeheartedly in your way.

Psalm 40:5 "Many, O LORD my God, are the wonders you have done. The things you planned for us no one can recount to you; were I to speak and tell of them, they would be too many to declare.

Jeremiah 10:6-7 " No one is like you, O LORD; you are great, and your name is mighty in power. 7 Who should not revere you, O King of the nations? This is your due. Among all the wise men of the nations and in all their kingdoms, there is no one like you.

Job 42:2"I know that you can do all things; no plan of yours can be thwarted.

Isaiah 14:27, " For the LORD Almighty has purposed, and who can thwart him? His hand is stretched out, and who can turn it back?"
Yes, we still work towards changing this policy. I have met with a friend of ours who is a lobbyist and will help us get in contact with our state senator (he has his number in his cell phone!) to get a case open. However, now I will rest in the fact that GOD is in control. I will be thankful that He allows us to be a part of what He's doing in Liberian policy!! That's amazing!

So, please pray, but don't worry! Give it to the Lord and praise HIM all the day long! I will post more of my lobbyist friend's ideas on a plan of action soon if you would like to be involved. (especially my activist friend, Zabs!)

4 comments:

S and K said...

Thanks for the Scripture reminders. I stole some of your post for mine... hope it's okay! It was a great explanation!
Stayin' and prayin' with ya!!!
Love,
Katy

Jackie Sue said...

"My God is so big...so strong and so mighty there's nothing my God cannot do." This is NOTHING for God! He's got this one for sure. He loves those kids too....no matter what and as harsh as it seems...those sick babies will receive the ultimate healing should He choose to take them HOME to Himself. I have to remember HEAVEN ALL the time in light of this life...He is in control for sure. love love love you and so glad to share this journey and heart for adoption with you. yours, js

Just A Family said...

ahhhhh you mentioned Joesph..
you sweet friend.....
Hey ya wanna come over to eat friday night?

love ya Rob

Christie said...

Hey Brandi,

God is so sweet to use those bible study girls to gently remind you of His promises! I have been praying and thinking I would call you, but this helps to answer my questions. Just like Jackie said, this is NOTHING for God!! I love ya and will keep praying! Christie