Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Weekend Update and a few thoughts to go along with it

Thanks for praying for us! This weekend's womens retreat was WONDERFUL! It was amazing to watch God at work among these women. He truly met us there. It was so fun to see the women connect to one another and to the LORD. Our theme was "BFF ~ Becoming Fruitful in Friendships" and we took a closer look at what the Lord has to say about community and our role in it. We really prayed for the women, that they would connect to one another and understand more deeply how God has created us to live in authentic community with one another. What was especially fun was to watch the women who had such a hard time coming, either from fear or just an overwhelming life right now. Each of the women who we were most concerned about and praying for came up to us at the end just thanking us and telling us how much fun they had! That made the whole exhausting work all worth it! Thankfully, while it was a ton of work, I had the best team every! Thanks to Kelly, Jess, Sunday, Abby, Karen, Shannon and Shai!!!

Now for my thoughts for today. . .as if anyone cares to read my mind!

2 things stuck out to me in my quiet time this morning. The 1st was about our relationship with Liberia. Having not heard any answers about our possible fundraising trip, I have been getting discouraged. Well, this morning in my reading of "40 days to a more generous life" I read Psalm 67:6, "God will bless us. And people from remotest lands will worship Him". Oh Lord, that is my prayer!! Bless us and others and help us to bless Liberia that "people from the remotest lands will worship Him"!!!! Combine that with this scripture from 2 Chronicles 16:9, "The eyes of the Lord search back and forth across the whole earth, looking for people whose hearts are fully committed to Him, SO THAT He can show His great power in helping them." They went on to quote passages from David and Goliath, from Gideon and his 300 men and from Jonathan and his armor bearer taking on the Philistines. The little group that God is gathering who have a passion for Liberia can be used mightily by God. Let's not forget that! Oh Lord, that you may find our hearts fully committed to you so that you will choose to show your great power in Liberia and allow us to be a small part of that miracle!! That also makes me more passionate about seeking the Lord and asking Him to change my heart. If He is looking for someone who has a heart that is fully committed to Him so that He can lend His power, well, I want to be that girl!

Which brings me to my last scripture for today. After reading all of that from "40 day journey", I opened up Philippians to look for scripture to pray. Here is what I read today, "Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again, rejoice. Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." (Phil. 4:4-7) Saying, let your gentleness. . . assumes that you have gentleness. That you are characterized by it. This was challenging to me. For me to have evident gentleness, I need the Lord to build that in me. The opposite of gentleness is harshness, which comes whenever I judge others or protect my own heart. Lord, change my heart to be more gentle. May my words, actions and attitudes be gentle towards my husband, children, friends and others. Then, the verse goes on to challenge me to always present my requests in an attitude of humble, thanksgiving, recognizing His sovereignty always. Ooooh, that's always challenging!

5 comments:

Julie Redman said...

Hi Brandi,
Glad you had a good time. I enjoyed your post this morning.
julie

Just A Family said...

Love ya thanks for the words of encouragement to us all.


love ya,
Rob

Amber G. said...

I am so glad the weekend went well. I am just sad I wasn't there... :(
*I don't know about this whole "southern" reunion thing... I think I may have to fly down for it, too!!! :)

Good words from your quiet time, as well. I especially appreciated the reminder about "God's eyes searching the earth"... He knows all and yet He is watching for opportunities to pour out His power on behalf of those whose heart's are fully committed. I want to be that person, too! It encourages me to stay focused and faithful. I'm still praying often for you and all the exciting doors I KNOW God is opening up for you in the heavenlies, even if they aren't yet visible on earth. I can't wait to see them become more clear!

Love ya!
Amber

Jocelyn said...

Brandi,

I've been thinking of you a lot lately. Isaac and I are in Texas on our way home. Our plans changed and we didn't end up going south! I wish we could have met up. I hope all is well and I can't wait to hear updates on Davis!

Love,

Jocelyn & Isaac

Unknown said...

Don't you have anything new to say? I keep checking and nothing!
Are you a real blogger or not?