Monday, November 5, 2007

Dancing Days. . .

Today, one friend received her I71H (a very important gov't form) and 2 received referrals. . .this got me to thinking about Dancing Days. . .

One bonus about adoption vs. pregnancy are the amount of "dancing days". These are your milestone days. In our acres of hope yahoo group, we call them "woo hoo days", "happy dance days" and more. These days (and a little of their stories!) for us have included, but are not limited to:

The day we decided to adopt ~ Greg and I had been talking and praying for about a month and I was just waiting for his final "YES". That Saturday night, we watched "American Idol" over at the Largaespadas and the African Children's Choir performed. While we were watching it, I turned to Greg and said "you want one?". He answered, "yes", but I didn't want to take that as our official yes b/c I didn't know if he was serious. Later, when we got home we finished the conversation and decided officially to pursue adoption from Liberia. The next day was our denomination's annual council and the missionary rally. It was so fun to celebrate what God was doing all over the world and run up to my friends and give them the GREAT news! (thank you Michelle Quintero for probably the most excited shriek ever!)

The day we saw Henry's picture for the first time ~ We were in Naples for the weekend, visiting Greg's sister Laura. I had called Donna about this little boy listed in the waiting children's email. She ended up emailing me his picture while I was in a movie (Evan Almighty to be exact) and my phone at the time couldn't download attachments!!! I did, however, see at that time that his last name was Davis and decided right there on the spot to give him that as his first name! (although Greg was still arguing for Derek Jeter!) After the movie, we went straight to Ali and Ryan Boyd's house and saw his sweet face for the first time. It was so fun! Our other friends, Jamin and Vicki came over and I was able to say for the first time, "look, I think this is my son!)

The day we celebrated his birthday (July 10) ~ This was truly a day I'll always remember. My friends, Jess and Jen, did such a good job of celebrating with us and understanding that this was a day to be celebrated even though he was not yet with our family. Jen watched the kids for the day and made cupcakes and everything. They even posted his picture on a chair and sang to him! For dinner, Jess and Nathaniel came over. We tried to make Liberian bread or something (it was awful!) and Jess got us a game to learn the countries in Africa and the Vanity Fair that was done by Bono all on Africa!

The day we got our I71H ~ I danced in the front yard and screamed on the phone with my friend Monica!

The day we got our "finalization" email ~ I screamed and cried all at the same time. I was on my way to a MaryKay party at my friend, Susan's house. I pretty much didn't pay any attention b/c I was texting people the whole time! I kept telling people, "according to Liberia, he's mine, mine, mine" (you know, I meant "ours"!!)

Little days like buying his first outfit just for him. . .a super cute Discove(red) shirt with the outline of the continent on it. The day Greg gave me my Africa necklace. The day (Sat. night) we got his carseat. I'm starting to nest here!!!

Now, I wait. . .a couple of days to be praying for (pray they come quickly!)

The day we get his passport (should be soon here!)
The day we get travel dates
The day we leave for Africa
The day we meet our son for the first time
Our embassy appointment which makes it REAL
The day we bring him home to meet his amazing brother, sister, Grandparents, Aunts and Uncles and many, many excited friends (have I told you that the "airport scenes" on Adoption Stories on TLC are my favorite scenes?!)

I'm starting to get anxious! I dream about going to Africa every night. I can't wait to kiss those cheeks! I LOVE adoption! While the waiting is hard, b/c there is no due date, it is full of wonderful and amazing moments!

3 comments:

Cassie - Homeschooling Four said...

You are very cute! I love to hear all the excitement in your post. It has been fun to be a part of this journey with you. I know all those other dates are big deals for you. I don't know what all of them mean, so I am just looking forward to meeting this little guy.

Laura said...

Soon... very soon! Can't wait-

I am so happy that the money for the Dunwell's is coming so quickily now. WHAT A BLESSING!

missy said...

I love reliving all of those wonderful adoption milestones. In general, adoption is so much more of an emotional journey than pregnancy (assuming it is a normal, healthy pregnancy). I agree with you, I absolutley love the airport scenes.

It's so good to see how God is blessing your pastor's adoption too. I've been meaning to ask you if you wanted anymore prizes for their fundraiser. I would love to donate a couple of candles or a gift basket if you need it. Just let me know. I think you have my email.

It looks like there is going to be a huge rush of little ones crossing the atlantic very soon. Can't wait.

Love, Missy