Monday, March 10, 2008

The problem with "Evan Almighty"

My kids have been watching "Evan Almighty" lately. . I have found a number of issues with this however. . .

1. They now think they an watch "The Office" because "Evan" is on it

2. They think it's an accurate depiction of the story of Noah. . .ok, you guys saw this one coming, I know. . .so did I! This is actually the easiest to overcome through a great description of the real story.

3. They think God is a large black man. Yep, it's true. I laughed about it a while ago, almost as a joke. . .However, just now Brayden peeked out of his room to tell us that he's "scared of his walls" (great excuse, huh?). . I went on to assure him that he didn't need to be afraid b/c "God is bigger than his walls" . His response? "No he's not. . .I saw him on Evan Almighty". Oh my!!!

11 comments:

steffany said...

Hilarious!!!!!

Laura said...

I LOVE THIS! I remember when we took Bray to see that and then to Sunday School and he kept telling the teacher that there were big spiders on the arc, and they had no idea what he was talking about!

A Family said...

Brayden should have said that he was scared of the animals that would fly in through his windows. Nothing like stalling tactics. Funny stuff though!!

Love,
Chris

Unknown said...

time to talk about pretend vs. real......do you think he will understand words like omnipresent?

Cassie - Homeschooling Four said...

That is pretty funny. My kids like to compare the differences from the movie to the Bible story. It did take a good bit of explanation that they were not the same though.
I still love the movie.

Anonymous said...

I think Evan Almighty is an accurate depiction of the story of Noah. I don't know what you people are talking about. I am pretty sure that Noah was a congressman who had to work to prevent global warming and the depletion of our natural resource by a corporate culture of greed and gluttony. If I had to bet I am pretty sure that God is a black man. I used to have a stuffed black Jesus when I was in college and I have seen the pictures of black Jesus in AME churches (which I find interesting because I am pretty sure that Jesus was Jewish, but who am I to question)?

Most Likely, The Glogger

Anonymous said...

How funny!!! That is a great movie though!

Kari said...

Graham and Abbie loved it also. They watched it every day for about a week.

missy said...

Loved the movie, but like so many other movies that I let my kids watch, I forget that they (my kids, that is)are such literal little beings. Too funny.

Anonymous said...

Mrs.Brandi.
How funny!!!! I Love your 'name game' on my blog- Vanilla Good and plenty-That is hilarious!
-tay

Jocelyn said...

I wouldn't be surprised if God did show himself in the form of a black man...I mean come on Black men look amazing in White...Morgan showed us that, and I know my God is styling!

~J