Friday, February 20, 2009

Thou Shalt Blog

This is what I recently read in Deuteronomy. . . no, really!

Ok, so it doesn't say that exactly. . but close to it. . .or at least my interpretation =)

Have I ever told you how overwhelming it is for me to be learning a bunch of things all at one time? I'm always looking for how God is going to tie it all together. He is a God of order and so usually when I feel like I'm learning or struggling with a bunch of different things, He has a key lesson in it for me.. . .I'm always looking for how it goes together. weird, maybe.

My friend, Jaymie is doing this Bible reading plan with me as well. She lovingly emails me, "hey, blog about sacrifice!" or some other random thing we are reading about. Well, sacrifice is one of the things I've been struggling through. I KNOW that God intends for all of scripture to be useful for me. To teach me. To reveal Himself. To change me. Which makes sense. . .when you are reading Hebrews! haha Leviticus, Numbers, Deuteronomy???? Those are a little harder.

Chapter upon chapters of Rules and Regulations (which Pastor Jon helped me to see as descriptions of are uncleanliness and His holiness) and LOTS of sacrifice. lovely stuff. And where my thoughts found their struggle. . ..hmmmm, what to learn from chapters on sacrifice?

I was praying about this one morning in the shower (my personal prayer closet! hehe) and I realized something: we doubt sin. Our culture has a hard time even believing that we need God. Oprah tells us that there is nothing bad within us! This wasn't the case for the Israelites. They were constantly reminded of their sinfulness and God's holiness; thus the need for sacrifice.

Maybe we need that little reminder more often! Ok, not that we need to add animal sacrifice! That provision of sacrifice was exchanged for the blood of Jesus once and for all! This is perhaps why confession is mentioned so often in the New Testament. Confession is about realizing that we are sinful, that God is Holy and that HE has provided a plan of redemption.

It changes our perspective. This part of confession and sacrifice changes our perspective on US, which brings me to my next connecting point. . . .

Thou Shalt Blog.

Throughout these books, God tells Moses and Moses tells the people "I am YOUR personal God who brought you out of Egypt." In fact, the entire chapter of Deuteronomy 8 is a record of what God had done for His people. The people were reminded over and over about what God had done for them to remind them of what He WAS doing for them and what He would do for them in the future! This isn't just God's opportunity to brag. . .He had a purpose in this.

The confession part changes my perspective on ME, the remembrance of what He has done changes my perspective on HIM.

Like yesterday when I was struggling and needed to look at the other side of the scales, sometimes I need to remember WHO is on that other side. Jesus. and He's big. and good. This is why I should blog and talk to my friends and hubby regularly. This is why I live in community. To remember. He is God and He is good. I could write chapters about God's goodness to me. I know you can too. . .In fact, how about it? I'd love to read a blog that is a chronicle of God's faithfulness to you.

This is what I want to implement and learn from my time in Leviticus, Numbers and Deuteronomy. . .to gain perspective on ME by spending time in confession and rememberance of my own sin; to gain perspective on HIM by spending time in remembrance of His goodness and Holiness and to remember ""Therefore, we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far ouweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." (2 Corinthians 4:16-18)."

5 comments:

junglemama said...

You are such an example to all that read. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

talking ass????

Kathleen said...

I love this post and keep on writing please! I love hearing from women who cannot contain the love they have for Christ! I love how it just pours out of your heart as if you could not keep quiet if you had to! We have freedom through Christ and not having to live with our sin is something to shout about!

Shauna said...

I love your post - we must be on a similar reading plan and I too am struggling with Numbers. I keep stopping and asking God to help me see what He wants me to see. Thank you for your insight!

Anonymous said...

I've always liked things like sand clocks, lava lamps, and the like to kind of fair-minded fritter away space staring at it as a formality of catharsis. In a opportunity, it helps me with meditation, to mitigate stress and decent think in the air nothing. That's why since I was a kid, in preference to of dolls and cars I've always at ease more of such pieces like sand clocks, lava lamps, harmonious boxes etc. So I was most pleased when I start the[url=http://www.dealtoworld.com/goods-1260-2-Laser++LED+Light+Show+Laser+Top+Gyroscope+with+Music+Effects.html] 2-Laser + LED Inconsiderable Manifest Laser Outstrip Gyroscope with Music Effects[/url] from DealtoWorld.com under the Toys section. It's like a harmonious belt, a spinning head, and a radiance show all rolled into one. Which is spectacular entertainment! The gyroscope transfer outing representing in the air a minute. The laser explanation manifest with accompanying music makes this gyroscope a measure unique toy that my friends have also been most amused with.

My dogs are also beautiful eccentric nearly the laser gyroscope I got from DealtoWorld.com. They evermore follow the gyroscope as it spins, although at first they kept barking at the laser diverting dismiss show, and also because it produces music. But after they got used it, they've stopped barking but just watch over following the gyroscope whenever I start spinning it. Kids are also pretty amused next to it. Occasionally it's proper to take diverting toys on all sides the house so that you can pull out the diminutive on while the kids are being amused or playing with it while you count provide for viands or get changed. The gyroscope is a particular such toy with this purpose.

The gyroscope I bought from DealtoWorld.com has a dragon as a intent plot on it, and produces a gegenschein accompany with red, blue, and green colours. Take a look at the pictures I've uploaded of the gyroscope with laser luminosity show. The music produced from the gyroscope is not that expert but decorous adequacy to treat any chic visitor to the house. The gyroscope is red and negro, making it look particular coolth, and somewhat macho with that dragon imprint.

The music flare plain gyroscope runs on 6 LR44 batteries, which are replaceable anyway. I've also utilized this gyroscope to their heels my girlfriend during our anniversary celebration. I did the cheesy chore of decorating the hostelry cell with roses and when I led her in, I started up the gyroscope as rise so that the laser light clarify produces a dreamed-up effect. I also had some battery operated candles so all the understanding effects created a sort of romanticist atmosphere. She loved it, at near the custom, to my relief. I also bought the candles from DealtoWorld.com. These days it seems to be my oversight shopping put in favour of all gifts and ideas in behalf of romanticist occasions.

Since Christmas is coming, this laser light show gyroscope can dialect mayhap be a momentous Christmas give-away looking for the toddler or methodical the humour! Alternatively, the gyroscope can absolutely be a gracious reckoning to the ordinary Christmas decorations. I can imagine placing it adjoining the Christmas tree and perhaps spinning it when guests hit town in the house. Looks like [url=http://www.dealtoworld.com]DealtoWorld.com[/url] is getting my duty yet again!